Tent Trailers – 5 Reasons to Get One For Camping
A tent trailer is perfect for people who enjoy the great outdoors but they also enjoy their comforts and don’t want to rough it too much when away from home. While camping is a lot of fun and an inexpensive way to break away from the rat-race for a while, the thoughts of setting up and sleeping in tents is unappealing for a lot of folk, and unfortunately this puts them off camping out.
Of course you could always buy or rent an RV, but unless you intend on doing a lot of travelling this expensive option is not a possibility for most. The perfect compromise between the tent and RV is a trailer tent.
5 Reasons You Should Get A Trailer Tent:
1. They are much lighter than a camper, compact and many were designed and are light enough to be towed by not just SUVs and trucks but by regular family cars fitted with hitches. You need to know the towing capacity of your vehicle and I’ve discussed this before on this site so no need to repeat it here. Just make sure your car meets the towing criteria needed for the trailer.
2. Trailer tents are really easy and fast to set-up. A lot of thought and experience has gone into perfecting the design of these tents and they usually take only a couple of minutes to set-up. Some people would argue they are easier to use than pitching a traditional ground tent.
3. Storage is easier as they tend to be smaller than an RV on their base and height when packed. And because of their lighter weight, many owners actually store them on their side in their garages, leaving plenty of space for other storage.
4. Now that you don’t need to book ahead and pay for a hotel, you have more freedom to take to the road and visit a nearby camping park when you want to on a Friday night, and be home, Sunday evening at your own pace. How much would it cost to spontaneously take the family off for a weekend in a hotel, compared to camping out in comfort in a camping ground. You can see these trailer tents will pay for themselves in no time!
5. Many tent trailers are equipped with extra storage space at the rear of the trailer that can carry extra gear such as luggage, portable stoves or coolers. Some larger and 5th wheel trailers have a load space for ATV’s and sports equipment that you can bring with you to your destination. These trailers are often referred to as ‘Toy Haulers’ for obvious reasons.
While buying a ten trailer will cost you more than a family tent, you will have more comfort and if you’re planning to take many trips with your family or friends you’ll soon realise the long-term value of your investment.