If you’re curious about pop up campers and are looking for more information, read on. In this article we’ll discuss some of the benefits that can be found by owning a pop up camper as well as the drawbacks. By the end of the article you’ll have a better understanding of the pros and cons of pop up campers.
Pop Up Campers
So what exactly is a pop up camper? Well, to put things simply, a pop up camper is any sort of camper trailer that folds down for travel and pops up or unfolds to serve as a camper. They’re generally going to be something like the camper to the right – both of the wings on the sides fold in and the roof lowers to about a foot off of the base. This makes for a very compact trailer, making it easier and more convenient for travel. Pop up campers are really very similar to folding campers in that they both fold down for travel and pop back up for use.
Benefits of Pop Up Campers
There are several benefits to pop up campers.
1) They are affordable. Pop up campers are very reasonably priced compared to other types of towable campers. This is a particularly important benefit for families who love the outdoors but don’t have a lot to invest, or for families who are just starting out with camping and don’t want to invest a large amount.
2) Storage is simple. Since pop up campers don’t have the height issues of RV’s, you can easily store a pop up camper in the garage so you don’t have to worry about having specialized storage space.
3) Pop up campers are lightweight. Since they are made of lighter weight materials, and weigh less than many other kinds of towable campers, you don’t have to own a heavy duty truck to tow them. Most min-vans or SUV’s will be able to tow a pop up camper without a problem.
4) They are fuel efficient. Since pop up campers fold down and have a low profile, they cost less to tow than other types of campers.
5) They are easy to tow and maneuver. The low profile of pop up campers means there is no need for specialty rear view mirrors and the drivers view will not be obstructed. Also, their small size make them easy to position once you arrive at the campsite.
Drawbacks of Pop Up Campers
Unfortunately, despite all the benefits, pop up campers are not without their downsides.
1) They require time for setup and tear-down. Although some pop up campers take only 10 minutes to put up, others can take an hour. For most pop up campers the set up is a manual process that involves unfolding it, sliding portions out, and cranking it up to the appropriate height. It can feel frustrating when you’ve spent an hour setting up your camper to see a 5th wheel drive into a site next to you and have their camper set up and ready to go in 10 minutes or less, including getting their camp fire going.
2) Fewer amenities than other types of campers. Features like hot water, ovens, refrigerators and toilets are all add-on options on most pop up campers. As pop up campers are more of an entry level type of camping trailer, the standard features are more limited. Even if you do chose to include some of the add-ons the quality is not as high as it would be in a more expensive 5th wheel or RV.
3) Not built for windy weather. Because pop up campers are so light weight, they also tend to move about a little during a wind storm. If you plan on camping in windy areas and don’t like the feeling of your camper rocking a bit, a pop up camper may not be the best choice for you.
Brands and Types to Consider
When you decide to start looking for pop up campers for sale, the first thing you should do is investigate the different brands available. Coleman pop up campers are among the most popular. Fleetwood and Keystone are also good brands to look at, in addition to Jayco pop up campers. If you have a pickup, look into pop up truck campers. When you’re out on a retail lot you may also find other brands that you like the look and features of. Before choosing a brand, make sure to compare all their features and benefits. Also take a look at the warranty offered and what their service reputation is like.
If you’re on a budget and don’t want to spend too much on your camper, then looking at a used pop up camper can be a good option. Just make sure to buy a quality camper from a reputable manufacturer, and if you can get a warranty on it, all the better.
Finding a Good Price on Pop Up Campers
Try to identify which types of features you will use the most so you don’t over pay on a camper that has bells and whistles you will never use. On the other hand, don’t go without a particular feature simply because you think it will be too expensive. If you know having an oven will make a big difference in your camping experience, then price shop until you find a pop up camper with that feature. Finding pop up campers used may be a great way to find all the features you want while staying within your budget.
If you’re on a budget but want a more comfortable camping experience, pop up campers are likely a good choice. However, if you are looking for a more luxurious camping experience with a lot of amenities, pop up campers may not be the best fit. Hopefully this article has provided you with enough information to determine if a pop up camper is the right choice for you and your family. There are a lot of camping vehicles on the market – whether you choose a pop up camper or another type of vehicle, there is sure to be one out there that is the perfect match for your camping needs.